I really love performing competitor analysis for Ice Nine Online’s clients. It’s amazing how much publicly available information you can find about a company’s digital marketing tactics if you know where to look.
Competitor analysis is a great way to understand how various types of companies market themselves, which then allows you to “emulate” the really great ideas and avoid the obvious blunders.
It also requires combing through websites, online assets, social media pages, and marketing campaigns hyper-critically, which in turn leads to better website projects and campaigns for our clients.
Here are a few items I look at when doing competitor analysis:
- When the company last redesigned their website and what they changed
- How the company approaches calls-to-action across their various online properties
- What type of content and resources the company publishes
- Which social media networks the company is active on
- Fluctuations in the company’s Google rankings over time (matching this up to Google algorithm change timestamps can glean some very interesting insights)
- When the company started and stopped ad campaigns, who they were targeting, what was the offer, and then (very importantly) which campaigns they increased budget to
- What the company’s top sources of website traffic are
- Where the company gets their best backlinks and brand mentions from
Interested in having Ice Nine Online perform a competitor analysis for your company? Let me know.
Share this Post